Tuesday, September 21, 2010

URGENT!

Mark Dever makes a terrific observation on page 134 of "Give Praise to God."

"To speak personally for a moment, when I am in a situation in which I am called upon to preach, as Baxter said, "as a dying man to dying men," I do not care if my hearers are scared of death, wanting happiness, or searching for meaning in life; I know that they will die and stand before God to give an account of their lives. Furthermore, I know that they will fail in their attempt to justify themselves, and I know that God will therefore rightly condemn them to an eternal hell."

The church of Jesus Christ would be absolutely transformed if she pursued truth with this kind of urgency. There is just one problem: how do we incorporate this sense of earnestness in a church ridden with materialism and relativism?

No comments:

Post a Comment