Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Two Options: Idolatry or Worship?

I still believe God deserves all our worship. I still believe His perfect plan includes us worshiping Him. But other than that... most of my preconceived ideas about worship turned out to be card houses that toppled over when held next to the truth of Scripture.

Although I have often claimed that worship encompasses every area of the believer's life (I Cor. 10:31; Col. 3:17,) I had never given it much thought. Thanks to the readings for this class (especially Gospel Worship by Jeremiah Burroughs.) I have come to the conclusion that our hearts truly are "idol factories." We have no capacity to worship God on our own, since we have no room in our finite minds to hold the infinite Sovereign of the Universe.

In light of this truth, why do we insist on coming to God on our terms? What makes us think that we have all the answers when it comes to worship? Surely, our God is a patient and loving Father for not sentencing us to eternal damnation for our foolish pride. I am completely amazed, not so much at the strange death of Nahab and Abihu or the sudden wrath poured out on Uzzah, but on the grace extended to me every time I choose idolatry over worship.

I can think of no better passage that deals with idolatry and worship than Jeremiah 2:11-13.
"Has a nation changed gods when they were not gods? But My people have changed their glory for that which does not profit. 'Be appalled, O heavens, at this, and shudder, be very desolate," declares the Lord. For My people have committed two evils: They have forsaken Me, the fountain of living waters, to hew for themselves cisterns, broken cisterns that can hold no water.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment