Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Communion and Confession?


"Lord as ever I expect to receive any good by this body and blood of Christ that now I come to receive, so Lord, here I profess against every sin that I have found in my heart. I desire to find out all, and profess against all, and renounce all and I would do to the uttermost what I am able for the delivering of my soul fully from every known or beloved sin. Oh, that there might not be any remaining sin in my heart" (Jeremiah Burroughs, gospel worship pg. 242). At first glance, I found myself wholeheartedly agreeing with Burroughs in the endeavor to renounce all my sins when coming to partake of communion. However, I know that I do not remember all of my sins and more importantly that all of my sins, (past,present, and future) have been nailed to the cross and are forgiven. That doesn't in any way take away from me seeing that my sin as ugly, but I know it has been paid for. So my question is, to what extent do we confess and ask forgiveness of sins in preparation for communion? The idea of continual confession seems a bit Catholic.

No comments:

Post a Comment